This article explains the steps for connecting and using the ZionWorx Remote app with ZionWorx PC software (v22.214.171.124 and newer).
Before you start
- Make sure that the PC running ZionWorx (v126.96.36.199 or newer) and the mobile device (e.g. smartphone or tablet) are both connected to the same local area network. The PC can use a wired or wireless connection to the router. Note: This local network does not need internet access.
- Start ZionWorx 4.x on the PC. The first time it runs it will request network access through the firewall - please accept this request.
If you are unsure whether the app has network permissions through the firewall then you can check the 'allowed applications' list here:
- Start the ZionWorx Remote app on the mobile device. After it loads you will be presented with the Home screen and two connection options: Remote Viewer or Remote Controller.
Tapping either of these buttons will initiate a connection to ZionWorx on the PC.
The red light in the top right corner indicates the connection status:
- Red = Not connected
- Red flashing = Attempting connection
- Green = Connected
The Message Log button opens another tab showing incoming messages and other information useful for 'debugging' in the case of some technical problem which needs investigation.
Connecting as a Remote Viewer is the simplest way to use the ZionWorx Remote app. After successful connection to the PC it shows a synchronised Live display which mirrors the PC output as much as possible. Please note that some content is not supported due to technical restrictions, such as video playback, live camera feeds and app cloning. The app is most useful for song words, Bible readings, PowerPoint presentations and still image slideshows.
Note: The mobile device can be rotated to make viewing easier. A single tap on the screen will also maximise the viewing area by toggling the visibility of the navigation tabs. Tapping the Home tab will take you back to the Home Screen. You will see the additional Live tab which takes you back to the Live view.
Connecting as a Remote Controller requires the mobile device to be authorised by ZionWorx on the PC. This is necessary because otherwise any stranger could run the app and take control of live presentation, either accidentally or intentionally. When the ZionWorx Remote app attempts connection, ZionWorx on the PC will check to see whether the device is already authorised. If it is then the connection will be granted immediately. If it isn't then a Windows Notification popup message will appear on the PC explaining that there is a device trying to connect as a Remote Controller. To allow the connection simply click anywhere on this popup message. The message will be visible for 6 seconds and needs to be clicked within this time period for a successful authorisation. Note that clicking on the message in the Action Center listing will have no affect.
This device will be remembered by the ZionWorx app as an authorised device for future connections (see File->Options->Remote Devices for further details).
Note 1: The Notifications feature in Windows Settings must be turned ON or this popup message will never appear and then a Remote Controller cannot be authorised.
You can check in Windows Settings that Notifications are enabled for ZionWorx as follows:
Note 2: The Focus Assist feature in Windows Settings must be turned OFF or this popup message will never appear and then a Remote Controller cannot be authorised.
You can check in Windows Settings that the Focus Assist feature is turned off as follows:
Using the app as a Remote Controller allows the user full control of PC main output. In this mode, two extra navigation tabs are visible: Playlist and Presenter. For ease of use you can swipe left and right to navigate between the tabs, or tap on the tabs themselves.
The Playlist tab shows a scrollable list of the items available to present. This list is automatically synchronised if changes are made on the PC. Simply tap an item to start presenting it.
The screen control buttons at the bottom change the output as follows:
- Show logo
- Show curtain
- Show background only (temporarily hides text during a song or Bible reading etc)
- Show content (normal mode for presentation)
The Presenter tab shows a list of slides which can be activated for presentation by tapping directly. This view is scrollable and zoomable (using a pinch-zoom two finger gesture). The zoom setting will be saved by the application and used next time it runs.
Note: The currently active slide has a green highlight border.
At the bottom there is an extra row of control buttons which offer the following functions:
- Show the first slide
- Play/Pause content (useful for controlling video playback or items with automatic timed slide transitions e.g. PowerPoints or image slideshows)
- Show previous slide (or previous PowerPoint animation) or fast rewind video playback
- Show next slide (or next PowerPoint animation) or fast forward video playback
There are two main problems that can occur:
- The ZionWorx Remote app can't detect a PC running ZionWorx on the network and so a connection is not possible.
Resolution: First check that the PC and the mobile device are connected to the same local network, either with a wired or wireless connection. If that isn't the problem then the most likely cause will be a software or hardware firewall blocking UDP/TCP ports. You could try temporarily disabling your anti-virus or firewall software to see if that is causing the problem.
In more detail, these are the network requirements for the PC:
* The system firewall must allow incoming UDP connections.
* At least one UDP port from 2020 to 2039 must be open for each available network adapter.
* At least one TCP port from 2040 to 2110 must be open for each established connection between the PC and mobile device for data exchange.
- After an initial successful connection, a later communication error causes the ZionWorx Remote app to fail to function properly or stay synchronised with ZionWorx on the PC.
Resolution: Close and restart the ZionWorx Remote app, then reconnect as you did previously. The app will automatically re-synchronise to the current status of ZionWorx on the PC.
If you experience other issues or have comments on how we can improve the ZionWorx Remote app (or this article) then please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com